Sunday, January 29, 2012

Taking a new direction...

I'm back again again again.  This blogging thing really does appeal to me but I think I have failed to realise that you really need to have some sort of a topic rather than just random ramblings.  Well now I have a topic.  

I am about to embark upon a fitness challenge of epic proportions.  Some of you may have heard of Michelle Bridges' 12 Week Body Transformation.  I am a proud paid up member for round one of 2012.  I cannot wait to get started.  This blog is going to be my way of recording my journey (I frigging hate the word journey but I can't think of anything more apt at this point in time!).  I don't want to forget how much hard work I have done, don't want to forget that if I am not careful I may end up in this place again.  

A little bit of background on what has led me here.  I come from a family of binge eaters.  The meals part of the equation is not so bad but snacking on junk, particularly sweet food, is something we are all very good at.  My mother, brother and I are able to slam back massive amounts of junk if we are in the mood, and can be in the mood pretty often!  I have managed to curtail this behaviour at various times in my life and have lost lots of weight and been fit and healthy.  Life's events have cropped up along the way and I have at times forgotten that being fit and healthy is the best feeling in the world.  

At the end of 2005 I realised that I was incredibly unfit, unhealthy and overweight and decided to do something about it.  This was my new year's resolution and I stuck to it.  I began a daily yoga regime and followed the CSIRO diet very successfully.  By mid year I was back in my healthy weight range.  I kicked my smoking habit (I had been smoking since the age of 13) and decided to join a gym.  I fell in love with group exercise, a love affair that continues to this day.  I maintained my weight and a six days a week gym schedule that had me fitter than I had ever been in my life. 

In October 2007 I fell pregnant after trying for only one month.  We were in Europe travelling at the time and aside from walking around Italy, Spain and France all day every day I was not exercising.  At the end of the holiday I developed horrid morning sickness and upon our return all I did was work, sleep and eat.  When I was eating I didn't feel nauseous so I ate all the time!  I ate all of the wrong foods.  I used pregnancy as an excuse to get back into old eating habits.  I lost sight of my health and fitness and ended up putting on a massive amount of weight.  I don't know how much as I was scared to face reality and didn't weight myself.  

My beautiful Will was born in June 2008.  I then used breastfeeding as an excuse to continue to eat badly.  I did resume an exercise regime but it was flimsy at best.  After twelve months I stopped breastfeeding and decided to pull my finger out and get back in to shape.  And I did.  I vowed that the next time I had a baby I would not make the same mistakes again.  

In November 2009 I fell pregnant again with my gorgeous Oliver.  I made the same mistakes again.  After he was born I went back to the gym after six weeks and resumed a two to three times weekly Body Pump regime.  I convinced myself that it was enough.  It wasn't.  I did lose a bit of weight and was on track to getting back to a healthy me.  Enter another life event.    

In the middle of last year a good friend and I decided to embark upon a cake decorating business.  I became obsessed with cakes and was making cake with alarming regularity, often daily, and eating a lot of it too.  My weight crept back up again without me really noticing.  My clothes felt a little tighter but I chose not to acknowledge that fact.  I did make a few half arsed attempts at a diet but was always lured back to cake.  

Before Christmas I decided that another new year's resolution needed to be made.  A lovely friend of mine has been in a similar position to me and had decided to join the 12 Week Body Transformation.  I told my husband her plans and he, knowing that I wanted to get back to me, asked if I was going to do it to.  'No, I'll be alright without it' was my response.  But then I thought about it.  Another great friend had also done the program with fabulous results and rave reviews. I did a bit of research.  I decided that I needed an extra kick up the butt, and here I am.    

I have already started eating well and exercising six days per week, as have most of the other lovely signed up members.  I have lost six kilograms.  I am ready.  I am hooked.  This blog will be my story.  

No comments:

Post a Comment